Monday, October 29, 2007

Life barrels on like a runaway train.

I went back home for my high school’s homecoming this weekend. It was an interesting experience. Three guys from our class showed up, and one of them still lives in Dallas, anyway. I didn’t talk to either of them longer than the obligatory handshake and pleasantries. It’s not that we don’t like each other, it just seems like we didn’t really have anything to say. Only a couple guys from the class of ’07, also, and nobody from ’05. Alums that I knew were few and far between. I ended up hanging out with Br. Stephen and Br. Philip the entire time. It was fun, but it made for some interesting musing once I got home.

It wasn’t that I felt out of place, exactly; after all the time I spent there, I don’t think I could ever feel like a stranger at Cistercian. I felt like an outsider. I left and went to college, I’ve been doing my own shit for the last year and a half, but things back there kept on the same way they always have. Guys that were in seventh, eighth, ninth grade while I was there are the top dogs now, and teachers treat them just like they treated us senior year – as friends more than students. It’ll eventually cycle out to where I don’t know any students at the school at all, by which point all but the most dedicated teachers will have left, too. I didn’t feel anything like this when I went to homecoming last year, but I think it’s because it was too fresh – I’d really only been gone for about a month and a half, so Cistercian still felt like home just as much as it always had. Last year, chilling in the stands and cheering for the team, I felt like I’d never really left. Not the same this year, though.

During sophomore year, it seems like I’ve been gone long enough to feel distant from everyone there, but I haven’t been gone long enough quite yet to feel nostalgic about my time there. I made a pass around campus, hit up the senior classrooms and the lunchroom and the pub, but it didn’t bring back that many memories that I don’t call up on a daily basis. That’s it – I felt distant, detached, somehow. I was watching the same shit that always happened, chatting with teachers, hitting on girls, buying popcorn, stuff that I did a million times, except it wasn’t mine anymore. I felt like there wasn’t much of a point in being there. I mean, yeah, it was good seeing everyone, but it only made me think about how much I’ve changed since I graduated and came to college. I’m a completely different person than I was in August 2006, there’s no doubt about that. It just didn’t feel like I’d had enough distance since senior year to appreciate it purely for nostalgic value. I was trying to fall back into my old role of actually being a Cistercian student, which didn’t work at all. I can’t do that anymore, and I learned that.

Before the game, I went to Ball’s Burgers to get a plate of nachos. Good shit, I can’t finish a full plate. On my way out, I ran into two kids wearing Cistercian t-shirts. I struck up a conversation, turns out they’re eighth graders this year. I told them I was a sophomore in college, pointed to my Texas sweatshirt, and their jaws dropped. I was a god, I was a friggin’ college student, and here I was, talking about E-Lab and Art tests. They were hanging on to my every word, something that hasn’t happened to me in a very long time, if ever. Somehow, thinking back on it, it only made me more depressed, though. In a few years, these kids are gonna be seniors, and after that, they’ll be the college students who happen to run into middle schoolers and shoot the shit for a few minutes. By that time, I’ll probably have left my Cistercian days far behind me. I might come back for the occasional Christmas or lunch with an old friend, but besides that, I’ll be living my own life.

It’s just weird, I guess, knowing that I had my time and finished it, and now I’m off doing my own thing, but things continue on at Cistercian like they always have and always will. I don’t have a place there anymore, there’s nothing left for me to do. I’m welcome to come visit occasionally, I’m sure, but that’s pretty much it. I’m finally at the point where, as a whole, our class of ’06 doesn’t rely on Cistercian anymore. We’re not “the class” anymore – we’re 44 independent people who may happen to drop in from time to time and remember the bond we used to share a million years ago. There’s finally enough distance between now and my time at Cistercian to realize that. I don’t belong there anymore, and to be honest, that scares the shit out of me.

No comments: